In the past few weeks I have been talking to people about who their biggest inspirations are, and one of the people who has been listed consistently – by both men and women – is their mother. Our mothers nurture us, support us, cheer for us, and guide us throughout our lives (and often long after they’ve departed this world). Where would we all be without our mothers?
In honor of all the moms, millennials to seniors, including mine and yours, a few fun facts about the 84 million women in America called Mom:
• Mothers can see the future, as Maxim Gorky said “because they give birth to it in their children.”
• She may tire easily, but not of romance.
• She never runs out of soap or toilet paper.
• She’s in charge of all the meals, even if someone else is grilling. No wonder it’s the most popular day for brunch, even beating out Easter.
• She may or may not want any pie. “A motheris a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
We spend $671 million dollars on Mother’s Day cards and $20.7 billion on Mother’s Day gifts. Flowers are the most popular gift for Mother’s Day, trumping Valentine’s Day as the busiest holiday of the year for florists.
Mother’s Day is May 10th. How will you express your love and appreciation for your mother this year?